Starting in October, MWU Clinics will offer our patients MyChart® by Epic®!
What is Epic®?
Epic® is a widely used electronic health record (EHR) system in the healthcare industry. It’s designed to help healthcare organizations manage patient information and streamline various aspects of healthcare delivery.
Epic® facilitates communication and coordination among different healthcare providers and departments within an organization, ultimately improving patient care. Epic® is known for its user-friendly interface and robust functionality, making it a valuable tool in modern healthcare settings.
What is MyChart®?
MyChart® is a patient portal platform used in conjunction with electronic health record (EHR) systems like Epic®. It provides patients with secure online access to their personal health information, allowing them to take a more active role in managing their healthcare.
Benefits patients with a MyChart® account can expect:
- Access to Health Records: MyChart® allows patients to easily access their health records.
- Appointments and Check-In: MyChart® allows patients to manage their appointments including scheduling, rescheduling, and canceling appointments. Patients can complete check-in for their visit before their appointment to reduce time during the registration process.
- Communicate with the Clinic: MyChart® allows patients to securely message the Midwestern University healthcare team without having to call into the clinic.
- Test Results: MyChart® will notify you when new test results are available.
- Prescription Management: MyChart® allows patients to request prescription refills, view current medications, and set up reminders about when to take medications.
- Billing and Payments: Payments can be made electronically using MyChart®.
- Proxy Access: MyChart® has features that assist families in managing multiple patient accounts in a single location.
Appointment Scheduling & Reminders
Patients will be notified of their upcoming appointment via a text message or an e-mail beginning one week before their appointment. Those messages will contain a link to complete all pre-visit paperwork prior to the scheduled appointment to assist with a faster check-in process at the time of your visit. Patients will no longer receive appointment confirmation phone calls.
The patient registration process will be entirely electronic. As we move to the new system, we will be asking our patients to re-sign documents to ensure our new system has all of the current information. We strongly encourage all patients to complete the check-in and sign these documents prior to the visit to help prevent any delays at check-in. If a patient is unable to complete paperwork prior to their visit, they can do so in-office using either a kiosk, tablet, or their personal mobile phone.
As the University is moving to a single system, patients who receive care in multiple departments will receive a single statement with all of their billing information consolidated. If a patient has a balance or is on a payment plan from services completed prior to the transition in October, the patient will continue to receive statements from the EHR system at the time of their visit until that balance is paid in full.
Midwestern University will maintain your medical records from all current EHR systems in accordance with our medical records policies.
For patients who utilize our telehealth and teletherapy services, the platform for these appointments will change. More information will be available at the time of scheduling these appointments.
While our faculty, staff, and students are learning to work in Epic®, our patients may experience longer than normal wait times when calling and during their appointments. We appreciate your understanding as we adjust to the new system.