May is Healthy Vision Month
May 1, 2015
Make eye health a top priority! Kevin Helmuth, O.D., Assistant Professor at the Midwestern University Arizona College of Optometry and the Midwestern University Eye Institute recommends:
- Get a comprehensive dilated eye exam annually. A dilated eye exam can identify early eye diseases, as many have no symptoms.
- Wear 100% UV protected eyeglasses, especially sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes dark leafy greens, red and yellow fruits and vegetables, and foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon.
- Be familiar with your family history, especially noting macular degeneration, glaucoma, and diabetes, and share that information with your optometrist. You may be at risk for developing eye disease.
- Use protective eyewear to prevent a job-related eye injury.